Creating impact through composition
noun: Composition – the act of putting things together
How does a photographer compose an image that will hold the viewer’s attention and create an impression?
How do you use composition to evoke a particular emotion or ensure emphasis is placed in the right area?
Smoke on Lake Burley Griffin – Terri Anderson January 2020
Head On Photo Festival – Landscape – Semi Finalist 2020
Photographers may employ one or a few techniques. Here are just a few:
- changing the camera angle to give the subject dominance or fragility
- placing the subject to lead the viewer into the scene so they feel they are seeing the same point of view
- juxtaposing the subject against the other elements in the scene to provide context
- filling the frame for immediate and obvious impact
- creating depth and perspective through choice of lens and focal length
- using negative space allowing the eye to rest and roam around the frame
- making deliberate decisions about what to leave in or out of the composition
Contact us to talk about how we can work with you to create a compelling composition.
If you are a budding photographer and want to take your images to the next level, think about how you can employ these techniques in your photographic practice.